Monday, April 23, 2012

water at Tween Waters Inn

Most of the pics I see of this resort feature clear waters in the Gulf. However, I did see one pic where the water looked like old mop water. Was this due to a storm? Is the water generally clear? We%26#39;ll be there in May and I was wondering how warm the water will be then, as well. Thanks.



water at Tween Waters Inn


The water color can vary, in part due to tannins that come from the mangroves and also from stirred up sand. In the summer months the %26#39;tea stain%26#39; color to the water is more common off Sanibel but it happens on Captiva. It%26#39;s generally harmless. Just the natural tannins that mangroves produce. Without mangroves the islands wouldn%26#39;t exist. It happens pretty much all along the these barrier islands, including Cayo Costa and Upper Captiva.





The islands are really big sandbars. The surf can be kind of gritty compared with the Atlantic side as it is shallow. The water off Captiva is clearer and more of a blue than off Sanibel. Lots of rain will also wash all kinds of stuff into the waters and make it cloudy for days. When I am on St John and its been raining you can see the %26#39;cloud%26#39; in the water that runoff creates making snorkeling blah. You can%26#39;t get high enough on Sanibel and Captiva but it%26#39;s pretty much the same thing.





As for water temps, in May they are warming up and usually in the 70%26#39;s. The later in the month the warmer they get. Still a bit cool for me but lots of folks find it perfect for them.



water at Tween Waters Inn


Thank you, Tourmaline. You%26#39;ve given me great info. I like the water with a bit of a nip so I think I%26#39;ll find it to my liking.




For Tourmaline--thanks for all of your advice. Water temp. taken on advisement--we%26#39;ll be there at the end of April. I wish it would be a bit warmer, but I%26#39;m sure we%26#39;ll jump right in .



Funny you should mention St. John--it%26#39;s our favorite. This is my first time (husband has been there for golf in the past) on Captiva.



Do you think there are similarities between Captiva vs. Sanibel and St. John vs. St. Thomas? Just wondering...




Sanibel is MUCH quieter and laid back than St Thomas. Personally I think STT is awful, but lots of folks like it. I love St John. Captiva is like St John%26#39;s East End and Sanibel would be more like Cruz Bay, only bigger. The island are flat as pancakes so none of the dramatic scenery you%26#39;ll get on STJ. Captiva is almost entirely private land. Sanibel is nearly 2/3rds conservation land. It reminds me a bit of STJ.





Best golf is Beachview or Dunes on Sanibel. The Golf Course at South Seas, the only one on Captiva and then only 9 holes, is now completely private and available to folks at SSR under the resort plan only. One member who played the old and new courses at SSR said it was beautiful but much too easy for even a moderately experienced played.

No comments:

Post a Comment