Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sanibel Red Algae Alert

The Sanibel beach from Nerita (Interaction or Middle Gulf and East Gulf) and more than a half mile west of Sundial Inn has extensive amounts of Red Algae. It is 1 to 10 inches deep and 10 to 30 feet wide. In some areas the Algae is quite thick in the water edge for 4 to 6 feet.





The Red Algea has remained on the beach for extend periods of time and is decaying causing an obnoxious odor. This odor is especially strong when you are walking into the wind in a easterly direction. I experience some throat iterations caused by the Red Algae vapor.





I have been on Sanibel Island for the last 8 weeks and conditions have been getting worst each week. Please join and contribute to PURRE to support take action to solve this environmental and economic crisis. Visit www.PURRE.org for more information



Sanibel Red Algae Alert


Rainstorm or Sue, can either of you verify the above statements and if you have even even heard of this PURRE? I always look askance at posts for never before seen posters that have such an inflammatory bent. I realize that section of beach isn%26#39;t covered in the Sanibel beach reports, which seem to have stopped for some mysterious reason.



Sanibel Red Algae Alert


the purre website is legit it seems. They have a link for the petition from the City of Sanibel. The site says it was formed by concerned citizens of SW Florida and the problems with draining LAke O.



Clearly the post is a huge exaggeration to try and get people on board to get the state to do something about the problem.



Maybe it is a good thing to make the situation look worse than it is, but this isn%26#39;t the right place for it in my opinion.




the post looks a lot like SPAM.




I agree with Invisible Man....this is NOT the place to put a post like that.





Tourm: we have been so busy that I have not been able to go look at the beach.





SaveSanibel you are not ';saving'; Sanibel by posting something like that......you are causing more hurt to the tourism industry by posting something like that.




Also, I checked ';charity watch';, ';Charitynavigator'; and ';Charitystar'; websites and pure.org is not listed. Maybe if it is legit, it is to new to be rated, but I would be hesitant to send money to an unknown org that is providing false information. That said, I hope it is NOT forum spam, and that they solve the problem.




It is a legit organization....a friend of mine is one Board members. So I can vouch for PURRE




Thanks Sue. I appreciate knowing it%26#39;s a real organization.





I have no problem with negative beach condition reports providing they are TRUE. I see no point in whipping folks into a frenzy with exaggerations - but then again one person%26#39;s %26#39;not so bad%26#39; is another%26#39;s %26#39;so awful I%26#39;ll never go back%26#39;. It%26#39;s all subjective opinion and one review of Sundial did say the beach was bad and stank last week, so I guess it isn%26#39;t entirely wrong.




PURRE Water Coalition - People Unitied to Restore our Rivers and estuaries ...nothing sinister here.




Sue - I am glad to hear it is legitimate, hopefully they will have some affect on fixing the root of the algae. I just like to know where the donations are actually going, what operating costs are, how much money is actually spent on field operations as opposed to executive costs. I understand people who live on Sanibel are working very deligently to fix this problem, as all of us should who visit regularly.




http://www.purre.org/





You can read all about it on the website.





There is also a petition to clean up sanibel beaches on the site

No comments:

Post a Comment