Friday, March 30, 2012

Post-Hurricane Pensacola

My family and I are planning a trip from Indiana to Pensacola Beach. I never drive anywhere but the country roads around home, so I am freaking out!! Especially when the MapQuest directions told me to take SR 399 and Fort Pickens Road to get to my final destination, yet several sites I have been on report those roads are closed indefinitely due to the hurricanes. Are there easy, well-posted detours? Should I find another route? Help, please!



Post-Hurricane Pensacola


Relax. The only part of 399 that is closed is actually on the island itself. The closed parts include:





The far east part of the island connecting Pensacola Beach to Navarre Beach.





The far west part of the island going out to Fort Pickens. If you%26#39;re staying on Fort Pickens Road, this will not affect you in any way. You simply cannot drive to the far end of the island to see the Fort.





You will be picking up 399 from Highway 98 in Gulf Breeze. You%26#39;ll go over a short bridge, pay your $1 toll and you%26#39;re there!





No worries...just relax and enjoy yourself!!



Post-Hurricane Pensacola


Ditto,





The only closed road on Ft. Pickens road leads to the Gulf of Mexico, so you would not be able to use this road to get anwhere else even if it was open :-)





Pensacola is fine, just lots of work expanding the interstate, but that%26#39;s not hurricane related.

No comments:

Post a Comment