Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Asthma Alert for SW Florida Visitors/ Residents

FYI: A link below to an article in today%26#39;s News-Press about the possibility of smoke in the area from wildfires as far away as Georgia which might reduce visabilities and trigger respiratory symptoms for individuals with allergies or asthma.

southwestfloridaonline.com/apps/…

Asthma Alert for SW Florida Visitors/ Residents

We were in Orlando on a connecting flight to Sanibel and the smell was horrible just from the air leaking into the terminal. I can%26#39;t imagine it outside.

Asthma Alert for SW Florida Visitors/ Residents

i live in central florida and it%26#39;s bad, bad, bad! especially in the morning. late afternoon it seems to clear out. in the paper today, it said the smells and smoke could last through june- i guess they mean if fires keep burning and they can%26#39;t control them.


hopefully TS Andrea will help out some.


new projections of the storm show it going back out into the atlantic and not coming over land. they said rain would probably be minimal if we got any at all. that%26#39;s what we need though, is a nice storm and lots of rain- but everybody still keeps their power! LOL


I%26#39;ve been down there when the wild fires are burning. Once, I was stitting on a bench at a Disney resort and flicked what I thought was a speck of dirt off and it left a black streak. It was soot from a fire many miles away. You couldn%26#39;t even smell the smoke right then but you could a short time later. I-4 was closed between Orland and Tampa for severals on that trip. I went down to Sanibel about 6 days later and what a MESS along I-4 and still really smokey and smelly.

I don%26#39;t think folks realize just how bad fire smells and how far smoke travels. Andrea is helping by driving the winds to the east - which helps the west coast, but as our %26#39;ninja%26#39; :-) said, Florida needs RAIN! And it needs lots of steady rain [not a deluge] for a long time to get things back to normal. I was shocked at how dry it was in March.

Hoping for the best on containing and putting out the wild fires.


I was cracking up at the Ninja avatar too. LOL


I had a GREAT Day... some great shells.......No smoke here, and no algae on west gulf today!

The weather is beautiful!


Shugy - I hoping to get down in Oct this year myself. I swear every place I like is rented out already. Guess I better start contacting some owners and agencies and make a reservation before everything I like is rented.


The smoke comes and goes. (And newspapers are notoriously dated in their coverage.)

I was on the island Tuesday and the smoke was heavy and unpleasant. Not life-threatening unless I had a respiratory problem to start with.

Wednesday and Thursday were clear.

It depends on the direction and force of the breezes. When the wind blows to the east, you would never know there was a fire - even as nearby as Bonita. When it blows to the West, we can smell Georgia.


Friday it was hazy, wiith no smoke smell.

  • home spa day
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment