Thursday, April 19, 2012

I'm leaving in a fortnight!

Hey, all you people from the UK! I finally figured out what a ';fortnight'; is! 2 weeks! Now I want to use it in a sentence; I%26#39;m leaving for Hawaii in a fortnight! Sometimes it%26#39;s hard to understand what everybody is talking about, because of the different use of language. This forum is gettin me all learned up good! Now, why is it called a fortnight?



I'm leaving in a fortnight!


I think becuase there are fourteen nights in a fortnight...i could stand corrected though. never really thought of it before but thats the only reason i could figure out.



I'm leaving in a fortnight!


Really? I assumed it was a word steeped in culture %26amp; tradition, like that%26#39;s how long the king would have the knights stay in the fort or something. Now you tell me it%26#39;s easier than saying ';fourteen nights';! I finally get some culture in my life, %26amp; it turns out it%26#39;s slang! That%26#39;s too funny!!




Don%26#39;t forget the bogroll.




OK Chinners, I%26#39;ll bite! What%26#39;s a bogroll?




Fortnight??





Oh, so I learned something today :-)





And now I cannot stop:



Need to know w h e r e do people say that? USA, Canada or GB?





:-)





So, weekend... I had enough education for today!




Ah ha! I%26#39;ve got it Chinners! I have an ';English'; dictionary. Bog is slang for the latrine. So I guess a bog roll is toilet paper. I%26#39;m really starting to lose my romantic respect for England. Now discovering you%26#39;re shortening words, %26amp; carrying your own toilet paper from place to place. Is that why Queen Elizabeth always has that little clutch bag with her?




I think Liz carries toilet tissue in a pouch. As such, it can probably not be referred to as bogroll.





I saw her once passing us in her Rolls - we were at the back of the crowd but gesticulated, and I%26#39;m sure she waved back at us.




I%26#39;ll just bet she did. She probably noticed your flip flops, %26amp; thinks you%26#39;re special!




Methinks you do discard the romantic use of the Englishe ... too readily Mistress potato limb.





Although some of my brethren do recede into the vernacular with gusto I feel it my duty to speak forth in the precise and proper tongue of these Isles.





Chinners only served to illustrate the tone of others by his slang. I think he has masterly use of his language ... you can tell is a gentleman throughout his various postings on a range of topics




England has slang words for almost every thing, also it depends on which region you are in for alot of the slang words.





Cockneys say things like apples and pears = stairs





dustbin lids = kids etc etc





Up north they say Aye = yes



canny = good



hadaway = your joking/ come along old chap lets be going







etc etc



Mick


  • moisturiser cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment