Thursday, April 12, 2012

boat advice for my landlubber

I have been reading all the great posts about the different sunset and snorkel and kayak sails and for the last week trying to get my husband interested with no luck.



So after 10 years he decides to tell me that he is not a big fan of being on the water and even when fishing in a local lake has to use motion sickness patches.





After all that there is a question in here.....





Can some give me a simple breakdown of the type of boats used and which ones may be a smoother ride



boat advice for my landlubber


A friend of mine says the only boat you can call a boat is a German U-Boat. Anyway...





It almost sounds too simple; you have a choice of big ships vs. small ships, and one hull vs. two hulls. And in general the bigger the ship the less it will be affected by the ocean swell. And a two-hulled ship will be more stable than a single-hulled ship.





IMO the biggest catamarans in Key West are the Furys, but they are not much bigger than the Sebagos or the Caribbean Spirit. So you might want to try a sunset sail on one of the Furys or even trying an afternoon snorkel even if both of you don%26#39;t snorkel. The sail out to the reef is fun to do and not everyone on the trip will snorkel anyway. With the Fury you can pick a day to go in the morning when the weather is really calm and just call to book and go. On a calm, windless day, you will feel almost no rolling, and the Fury is probably the least expensive boat, er, ship, for your test.





Pjk



boat advice for my landlubber


penpen, if he%26#39;s hellbent on not going on the water, why force him? We%26#39;re all about de-stressing here anyway. Sunset can be quite beautiful from Pier House, Ocean Key, or with 200 friends at Mallory.





Plus, you can go eat or drink or hot tub right after, you%26#39;re not stuck on a boat for another half hour after sunset. The Gulf meets the ocean here, and the water in the harbor will rock ANY boat under 100 feet, so he may not enjoy even a Cat.




Penpen - I agree with keywestaxi. If he really doesn%26#39;t want to go on the water, then he%26#39;ll probably be uncomfortable on any boat large or small. But, if he does decide to give it a try, as a lifetime sailor I can tell you he%26#39;ll be most comfortable in a boat where he has complete control. So, I%26#39;d suggest a kayak. You%26#39;ll be close to shore and can go stand on hard land at any time. You don%26#39;t need to take a tour where you%26#39;ll be on someone else%26#39;s schedule. There are places around the island where you can just rent a couple kayaks to ';get your feet wet'; so to speak.





Have a blast!




penpen... For God%26#39;s sake, you didn%26#39;t already tell him that Key West is an island, did you??!! :-)




Thanks for the advice all!





I love the water and to sail, and I really want to go! So I think maybe I%26#39;ll leave my husband at the bar and do a sailing trip without him.



Enough drinks and I don%26#39;t think he%26#39;ll even notice I%26#39;m gone!!





I also just gave him a copy of ';Quit your job and move to Key West.





~~~~~~~~~~~~It%26#39;s all good!~~~~~~~~~


  • isotretinoin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment